After you have obtained your divorce decree, over time circumstances may change. For example, with regard to child support your income or the income of your former spouse may have changed since the date of the final order and the order of child support no longer seems fair or the parenting plan as contemplated at the time of the dissolution simply is not working or does not reflect what is actually happening. At these times you may wish to consider a modification, which means bringing the matter back into court and asking the court to modify or change the prior order.

There are threshold requirements that you must meet depending on the nature or extent of the modification. Please note that there are exceptions to the rules of modification. Beware of agreeing to non-modifiable spousal maintenance in your divorce. You may find yourself in a situation where you cannot modify despite the changed circumstances.

If you find yourself in this situation with non-modifiable maintenance, the best thing to do is consult an attorney to see if anything can be done to help you.